In order to help maintain a healthy mental state of mind and possibly help anchor others who are also struggling, please consider the following ways to care for yourself from your friends at Integrative Counseling Group:
- Avoid excessive exposure to media coverage of COVID-19
- Take care of your mind AND body by practicing breathing exercises, stretching, getting daily exercise, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, maybe try that new recipe you’ve been eyeing. Get plenty of sleep and avoid excessive use of alcohol and drugs.
- Make time to unwind and remind yourself that strong emotions will fade.
- Connect with others! As much as technology can be a barrier, it can be useful to help us stay connected and maintain healthy relationships without seeing people face-to-face. Face-time with family or Zoom date with friends!
- Try to maintain a sense of hope and positive outlook. Remember, if you identify with having negative self-talk, irrational or unproductive worries or thoughts, ask yourself how you can reframe them to become a positive, rational, or productive thought. Focus on what you CAN control to keep yourself healthy and let go of what you can’t. Avoid catastrophizing and focusing on a timeline, neither are helpful right now.
The Happiness Lab podcast released new Podcasts dealing with social isolation and how to make rational decisions in a time of high anxiety
Brene Brown's new podcast to support us during COVID-19: “Unlocking Us”
Full Catastrophe Living by John Kabat-Zinn
How to be Nice to Yourself: The Everyday Guide to Self Compassion: Effective Strategies to Increase Self-Love and Acceptance by Laura Selberstein-Tirch
The End of Mental Illness by Daniel Amen
Freedom from Pain: Discover Your Body's Power to Overcome Physical Pain by Peter Levine and Maggie Phillips
Nutritional Treatments to Improve Mental Health Disorders by Anne Procyk
A Mindful Evening: Complete Each Day with a Calm Mind and Open Heart by David Dillard-Wright
10% Happier - Podcast
Free online yoga courtesy of https://www.shinyhappyyoga.com/online-classes
YMCA during COVID-19: Offering 60 Free Exercise Videos Online: www.YMCA360.org
Pregnancy Brain: A Mind-Body Approach to Stress management During a High Risk Pregnancy by Parijat Deshpande
Birth Without Fear: The Judgement-free Guide to Taking Care of Your Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum by January Harshe
The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions, and Restoring Your Vitality by Kimberly Ann Johnson
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (Updated Version) by Ina May Gaskin (midwife)
New Mom Self-Care Checklist and Doodle Journal: Taking Care of Yourself Postpartum by Mama Sweetsong
Mom and Mind - podcast
Good Moms Have Scary Thoughts: A Healing Guide to the Secret Fears of New Mothers by Karen Kleiman
Tokens of Affection: Reclaiming Your Marriage After Postpartum Depression by Karen Kleiman and Amy Wenzel
Heal Your Birth Story: Releasing the Unexpected by Maureen Campion
Postpartum Support International (includes online support groups)
Northshore MOMS Line - 866-364-MOMS or 866-364-6667 - A free, confidential, 24/7 hotline for pregnant and postpartum moms, and their families!
Breathe Mama Breathe: 5 Minute Mindfulness for Busy Moms by Shonda Moralis
The Whole Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture your Child's Developing Mind by Daniel Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson
You are a F*cking Awesome Mom: So Embrace the Chaos, Get Over the Guilt, and Be True to You by Leslie Anne Bruce
No Drama Discipline: The Whole-brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture your Child's Developing Mind by Daniel Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson
Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting by John Kabat-Zinn and Myla Kabat-Zinn
Webinar for Resilience, Coping and Parenting Strategies during these uniquely challenging times
Trauma Proofing Your Kids: A Parents' Guide for Instilling Confidence, Joy, and Resiliance by Peter Levine and Maggie Kline
Parenting From the Inside Out: How a Deeper Self-Understanding Can Help You Raise Children Who Thrive by Dan Siegel and Mary Hartzell
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman and Nan Silver
The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
Anxiety and Depression Association of America (Education and Support)
The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression Without Drugs by Stephen Ilardi
Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (Education and Support)
We strongly recommend that you utilize these books in combination with therapy and let your therapist know that you are following one of these resources.
The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel Van der Kolk
The Post-Traumatic Growth Guidebook: Practical Mind-Body Tools to Heal Trauma, Foster Resilience, and Awaken Your Potential by Arielle Schwartz
Healing Trauma by Peter Levine